Three new sections to the WCB Occupational Health and Safety Regulation to take effect April 3, 2017:
• Section 3.26: Requires an annual evaluation to measure the effectiveness of joint committees.
• Section 3.27: Establishes the mandatory minimum training and education for joint committee members and worker health and safety representatives. (*This is in addition to the annual eight-hour education entitlement for OHS Committee members in Section 135 of the Workers Compensation Act)
• Section 3.28: Clarifies the meaning of “participation” in section 174 of the Workers Compensation Act by providing three additional examples of participation by worker and employer representatives in a workplace incident investigation.
The BCFED Health & Safety Centre has revised our current suite of OHS Committee education courses to reflect and comply with these important changes.
• OHS Committee Part 1 (Fundamentals) - Complies with mandatory training outcomes in section 3.27 4) (a-f)
• OHS Committee Part 2 – Hazard Identification, Assessment & Control Principles, Understanding OH&S Legislation & OH&S Programs
• Improving Committee Effectiveness – Assisting workplace parties with performing the mandatory written evaluation as per 3.26
• Incident Investigations - Provides the skills for workplace parties to effectively participate in Investigations as per 3.28
As part of our new Building Psychologically Healthy Workplaces Programming, this year we are offering a new eight-hour course:
BCFED Health & Safety Centre is available to help your workplace comply with these new amendments. We are the largest training provider of Joint Occupational Health & Safety education in BC. Since 2001 the Centre has developed training by utilizing adult-oriented learning techniques aimed at preparing workplace parties to play a proactive role in the prevention of injuries and diseases.
With over 350 scheduled courses in 37 locations all across BC, our training should be available at a time and place convenient for you. However, with a minimum guarantee of 10 participants, we can also provide in-house courses just for your workplace.