Frequently Asked Questions

1) Who can register in health and safety courses?

Anyone can register in the courses listed on the course calendar, unless the course is marked as a private event.

2) How can I pay for my course?

All registrations are done online via credit card using a secure payment gateway (Stripe).

Ask if your health and safety co-chair or representative or human resources department can provide a corporate credit card number for your registration.

Alternately, you may need to pay yourself and get reimbursed by your company.

For large companies and organizations, that expect to register in more than 10 seats through the calendar year, we can establish an account then provide a promotional code for use at checkout. Read our Accounts page to find out how to set up an account.

3) How can I register more than one person in a course?

After choosing the course, in the registration box, select the desired number of seats in the quantity column, add them to the cart, then select the “Proceed to Registration” button.

During registration checkout, for each person, you will be asked to enter the attendee’s name, email address, phone number, city, workplace, and role.

4) My company or organization wants to be invoiced for my registration. How do I do that?

We cannot invoice companies for single registrations. Large companies have the option of setting up an account with us if they expect to register in 10 seats or more during the current calendar year. Once an account has been set up, we can invoice the company after the course.

Refer your company to our Accounts page to find out how to set one up.

5) I can’t attend the course I registered in. What can I do?

Here are your options:

  • You can send someone else in your place. Let us know the new person’s name and email address before the course starts.
  • You can transfer your registration to a course held on a later date within the calendar year if there are still seats available in it. A one-day course cannot be transferred to the two-day course on mental health first aid.
  • Cancel your registration. If it is less than 7 days in advance, you are not eligible for a refund.

Once you’ve picked an option, email us at ohsadmin@bcfed.ca to tell us what you want to do and include the course title with date in which you are registered.

6) I must cancel my registration. Can I get a refund?

Yes, if it is more than 7 days in advance of the course date, you can get a refund.

To request a refund, email us at ohsadmin@bcfed.ca with your name and the course title with date in which you are registered.

If it is less than 7 days in advance of the course, there is no refund.

7) I missed the course I was registered in. What can I do?

Sorry, we can’t transfer your registration or refund your money once the course date has passed.

8) I lost track of my registration receipt. Can you help me?

Yes, email us at ohsadmin@bcfed.ca to request a copy of your receipt and include the course title with date in which you are registered.

9) What do I receive upon completion of the course?

We issue a “Certificate of Achievement” after you have attended the course. If you signed up in advance of the course, a paper copy may be handed out to you at the end of the day the course takes place. If you signed up with short notice, a PDF will be emailed to you.

If your employer needs a copy of the certificate for their records, it is incumbent upon you to provide them with a copy.

The certificate looks like this:


10) I didn’t get my certificate. Where is it?

Due to volume, certificates can take 6 weeks to be processed.

If you took the MHFA course, you must inquire with the Mental Health Commission of Canada about the status of your certificate. Contact the MHCC. It can take a few weeks to receive the initial completion email from the MHCC, then approximately 4 to 6 weeks to receive the certificate. Check your spam or junk folders for MHCC email.

11) My company needs a copy of our employee’s certificate. How can we get it?

It is incumbent on employees to provide a copy of their course certificate to their employer. Please ask your employee for a copy.

12) I lost my certificate. Can I get another one?

Yes, email us at ohsadmin@bcfed.ca with the name of the course and date to request a copy. Due to volume, certificates can take 6 weeks to be processed.

13) Do you offer online courses?

No, we offer participatory-based, in-person courses only. Participants can interact with the facilitator and others plus they can have their questions answered right away. We believe this is the best way to deliver adult education.

14) I live in a rented apartment or house that has health and safety problems. What can I do?

For residential tenancy issues surrounding health and safety, contact the BC Residential Tenancy Branch.

For more advice, you can contact the Tenant Resource and Advisory Centre (TRAC) at 604-255-0546 or 1-800-665-1185.

You can also contact the Vancouver Tenants Union.

Register Early